5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 11
Rain couldn't keep environmentally conscious volunteers away from a scheduled clean-up.
Our weekday morning column, 5 Things You Need to Know, provides you with information that can help you plan your day and give you some fodder for water cooler conversations.
1. Pat Conaway of the Natick Trails Buddy program posted some great photos of a clean-up of Fisk Pond last week. Dedicated volunteers turned out in the pouring rain for the clean-up collaboration with Mathworks on June 4. "We're attempting to remove all the manmade junk (the 'low-hanging' fruit)," wrote Conaway in an email. "It's the beginning of our apology to all the creatures who need the waterway to survive (including us). Fisk gets rough treatment because if its proximity to all the commercial development and heavily traveled roads."
2. Want to post your own photos of something Natick-centric, but not sure where on the site to upload them? Our Pics & Clips gallery is the spot for you. Share a photo of something around town and we'll feature it.
3. Natick High students last week voted on a design to represent the new Red Hawk mascot. That design has been kept under wraps but is expected this week to be released to the public. Natick Patch will post a picture if and when we receive it.
4. Are you still fond of the old Natick High mascot? If so, consider buying a Redmen shirt from the Class of 1985, which is donating $5 from each sale to a fund for the family of a classmate who was killed in 2009. The class sold t-shirts in town on Saturday; if you weren't able to grab a shirt then, you can still do it online.
5. Itching for produce a bit fresher than what you pick up at the grocery store? Farm shares are available for Dover Farm, which is five minutes from Natick Center. Does anyone have a farm share? From where do you get it? Tell us in the comments.