Mass. Among States With Most Gay Rights
President Barack Obama came out in support of gay marriage yesterday.
According to the graphic, Massachusetts, Connecticut and Vermont, along with Washington state, Iowa and the District of Columbia, have the most rights afforded to gays.
- same sex marriage;
- hospital visitation by same sex partners or spouses;
- gays to adopt, either singly or as a couple.
- employment discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation;
- housing discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation;
- harassment in schools based on gender identity or sexual orientation
Also, Massachusetts' hate crime laws include crimes committed based on gender identity or sexual orientation.
In addition to comparing states' level of gay rights, the Guardian graphic allows you to log in through Facebook and see what rights are afforded in the states where all your Facebook friends live.