Roche Bros. Fire Update: 300 Worked to Reopen Store
More than 300 workers helped remove ruined food and restock shelves after fire at Roche Bros. Friday morning. All the food except in the frozen units had to be discarded due to smoke damage.
Roche Bros. grocery store reopened Saturday morning, thanks to 300 workers from nearby stores who restocked shelves and discarded products that were ruined by smoke in an early morning grease fire on Friday. All of the products in the entire store, except the food in the frozen units, had to be discarded, according to director of public health James White.
The Natick Board of Health determined that the seals to the frozen units were unbroken, protecting the items inside from the thick smoke that filled the store and traveled out into the parking lot. Canned goods will reportedly be reviewed by a salvage company.
More than 300 workers from Natick and nearby Roche Bros. stores pitched in to help, some giving up part of their vacations, said White, who added the store reopened much quicker than he originally anticipated.
A private company cleaned and sanitized the store before it reopened on Saturday morning, White said.
The fire, which began in the kitchen and could not be stopped by the sprinkler system, caused no significant structural damage.