Saturday, June 23, 2012
Thanks to Kent Heacock for these photos of a fire caused by a lightning strike Friday night at the intersection of Woodland Street and Juniper Lane.
A Natick firefighter was still hospitalized this morning after experiencing chest pains at a fire at the intersection of Woodland Street and Juniper Lane Friday night. Just after 6 p.m. Natick Fire Department called a second alarm for a fire at 59 Woodland St., after lightning struck the chimney of the two-story house and ignited the home. Investigators say the family was at home at the time, but was able to get out safely, even as the storm moved over the neighborhood and firefighters raced to the scene, reported NECN. Three people live in the home. The home is currently uninhabitable. A total value of the damage is not available at this time. Special thanks to Kent Heacock for these photos.
Friday, June 22, 2012
Natick Fire Department has responded to 59 Woodland St, where a 2-story house was struck by lightning; all firefighters have been ordered out of the building.
UPDATE: The heat of the day put a strain on firefighters, and one of them was taken to the hospital for evaluation after experiencing chest pains, reported NECN. Investigators say the family which lives in the house was at home at the time, but was able to get out safely, even as the storm moved over the neighborhood and firefighters raced to the scene, reported NECN. *** UPDATE 6:35 p.m.: All firefighters have been ordered out of the building, according to scanner report. Report ceiling has collapsed. *** UPDATE 6:30 p.m.: Natick Fire command is reporting heavy fire in the home. *** Just after 6 p.m. Natick Fire Department called a second alarm for a fire at 59 Woodland St. Ladder 1 is one the scene. This is near Juniper Lane. The two-…
Sunday, May 27, 2012
Massachusetts State Police investigated a report of a Lincoln Navigator striking a pedestrian at the Natick Service Plaza on the Massachusetts Turnpike Sunday.
At approximately 4:45 p.m. today, May 27 troopers from the Massachusetts State Police Weston Barracks responded to the Natick Service Plaza (I-90 Eastbound) for a report of a pedestrian struck by a motor vehicle. Upon arrival, troopers encountered a Middleton man, 44, laying on the ground in the access lane to the gas pumps (running parallel to I-90), with an apparent head injury, said a State Police statement. Natick Fire and EMS transported the man to MetroWest Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries, according to a press release from the Massachusetts State Police. According to witness statements, the vehicle involved was operating at no greater than 10 miles per hour at the time of the incident and may not have actually …
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Sheridan shares his thoughts on his job and offers practical advice for all families.
Rife with a collage of memories—both good and bad—James Sheridan will soon celebrate four years as the fire chief of Natick. “I have lived in Natick my entire life, with the exception of the three years I spent in the Army," Sheridan said. “I chose to become a firefighter because I have always received great satisfaction from helping others. It is my opinion that this is the greatest job in the world.” Although not always easy, Sheridan said he is proud of the work he does. “I don’t believe I have a single most memorable moment to date,” Sheridan said, “but rather a collage of moments that have left me both happy and sad, but always proud to have been there to give my best effort.” Sheridan watches over those he serves with great care …
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
Firefighters responded to a fire this afternoon.
The Natick Fire Department responded to a fire at 56 Westlake Rd. around 6 p.m. Tuesday, presumably caused by "careless disposal of a smoking material," according to Fire Chief James Sheridan. Sheridan said it's likely the fire began in the rear deck of the house, causing heavy flames. Firefighters fought the flames inside and cut a hold in the roof to ventilate the structure. The main part of the fire was extinguished in about half an hour.
The Natick Fire Department extinguished the blaze near Wild Meadow Lane and Morgan Drive.
The Natick Fire Department responded to a brush fire on Wild Meadow Lane Tuesday afternoon shortly before 4 p.m. The fire stretched across three acres of land, threatening nearby homes on both Wild Meadow and Morgan Drive, according to Fire Chief James Sheridan. As of 5 p.m. the fire is now extinguished and crews are working to wet the area. There was no property damage and no injuries.
Saturday, March 17, 2012
Reports of a child, 9, struck by a vehicle in the parking lot of the Travel Lodge.
Report of a child, age 9, run over in the Travelodge parking lot, 1350 Worcester Rd. just before 2 p.m. Fire, police and medical personnel on the scene. Fire Department reporting the child has an "obvious" fracture. Scanner reports indicated it is the bone between his elbow and shoulder fractured. The name of the child is not being released at this time. Scanner report has Natick ambulance transporting child to Childrens Hospital in Boston about 2:18 p.m. Scene was cleared by 3 p.m. No info is available on the driver. Natick Police would not release additional information because it is still under investigation.
Monday, March 12, 2012
A fire broke out in the wooded area off of Route 9 near Oak Street.
The Natick Fire Department responded to a brush fire that broke out off Route 9 near Oak Street shortly after 3 p.m. Monday. The fire temporarily shut down the right lane of traffic on the westbound side of Route 9. Fire Chief James Sheridan said the cause of the fire has not been determined, but the unseasonably warm weather and a dry winter could have contributed. Numerous brush fires have been reported in towns across the state in recent days. Sheridan said a loud explosion was reported before the fire began, possibly from an aerosol can.
Sunday, February 19, 2012
A fire caused residents to evacuate the 152 Mill St. home.
UPDATED STORY, 8:45 p.m.: According to Fire Chief James Sheridan, firefighters had difficulty accessing the fire in the rear of the house due to a fence, which was knocked down upon arrival. Firefighters extinguished the origin of fire in the basement, which also spread to the attic. Controlling the fire was difficult because there was a large number of combustibles in the area, said Sheridan. It took crews 50 minutes to eliminate the original blaze and an hour and a half to complete the call. NOTE: Scanner reports indicating two residents were trapped in the basement were false. ***** A fire broke out in the basement of 152 Mill St. just after 5 p.m. Sunday. Scanner reports indicated that there were people trapped in the basement, but the…
Saturday, February 18, 2012
A fire broke out at 57 Bacon Street early Saturday morning.
UPDATE, 6:10 a.m.: According to Fire Chief James Sheridan, upon the Fire Department's arrival at 12:17 a.m., firefighters found heavy smoke and fire, and an unconscious victim in the room where the fire originated. The individual, described as a 45-year-old male, was moved outside, where Paramedics resuscitated him and treated his burns while waiting for Medflight to Mass General. The man sustained second and third degree burns to arms, hands, shoulders, face and respiratory tract and is currently in critical condition. The fire was started by "careless disposal of smoking material," according to Sheridan. ***** UPDATE, 1:57 a.m.: Natick Police are reporting units still on the scene to continue investigation. One lane of traffic is open on…